Examining the Impact of Parents’ Education on Students’ Academic Achievements

  • Ram Bahadur Bhandari Ph.D., Scholar, Sikkim Professional University, Sikkim, India https://orcid.org/0009-0006-4755-3413
  • Tatwa Prasad Timsina Professor and Supervisor, Sikkim Professional University, Sikkim, India
Keywords: Education, Academic Achievement, Regression, Survey, Dependent Variable, Independent Variable

Abstract

This article undertakes a primary objective to examine the influence exerted by the parents’ education upon the academic achievements of students. Academic success among children is a complex culmination of various factors, with the parents’ education emerging as a notably influential determinant. The synthesis of existing literature within this study aims to provide a comprehensive grasp of how the parents’ education intricately mold the educational courses of students. The foundation of this article lies in a cross-sectional survey design, wherein the parents’ education assumes the role of an independent variable, and the students’ academic attainment as the dependent one. The data collection process involved the administration of a survey questionnaire to 386 students enrolled at 14 high schools located in Makawanpur district, Nepal. Employing linear regression analysis, the study pursued to unravel the impact of the parents’ education on students’ academic achievements. The outcomes of the regression analysis, with a correlation coefficient (R=.711) indicates a positive link between parents’ education and students’ grade points, an R-Square value of .505, indicative of a predictive nature, revealed that 50.5% of the discrepancy in students’ academic achievement can be ascribed to the parents’ education, leaving 49.5% accounted for by other influencing factors. The observed f(1, 384) = 97.185 that exceeded the critical value (3.865) indicates the fitness of the model, and (Sig.) being smaller than .05 implies that the independent variable had a noteworthy impact on the dependent variable. This research investigates the intricate relationship between parents’ instructive backgrounds and their children’s educational feat. The implications of this research extend beyond individual academic accomplishments, influencing educational policies, parental guidance programs, and interventions aimed at narrowing educational disparities.

Published
2024-04-01
Statistics
Abstract views: 7 times
PDF downloads: 3 times
Section
Articles